31.5.09

My Dad


On May 17th my dad died peacefully in his sleep. When I was in fifth grade he brought me a load of candy to my read-a-thon. I first saw the Little Mermaid and Evita and Sense and Sensibility with him (and also the Truth about Cats and Dogs, but I'm trying to forget that). He paid for the damage when I drove into my friends' garage door. I talked him into buying a ferret for himself, which I don't think he ever really liked. He took me on my first real trip to Disneyland. He told me I should be a librarian -- which made me laugh. He slipped me money every once in a while. He bought me a really ugly and expensive sweater. He rode the brake whenever he drove. He paid for college. He enjoyed shopping and paperwork.
I'm happy for him because now he isn't sick anymore. He can be who he always wanted to be, without the barriers of his body. I'm really going to miss him.

4 comments:

aisy said...

Wiping away the tears right now. Very sweet Megan. And you know what's cool? You were the one that took me to my very first trip to Disneyland. So, I guess I'm sorta connected to him too... even though I never met him. Great tribute.

heidikins said...

Oh honey, I had no idea. I am so sorry, I don't have a ton of memories of him, but I always thought he was a terribly nice man and it was so obvious you loved him.

I love you.
xox

Kathryn the Great said...

And he'll miss you...for now! Your goal: to see him again with good life, great career, handsome husband, and righteous children in tow....You know, to have something to show for your time apart. ;) Love you!

Nicole Rasmussen said...

Megan, You have a gift. Your ability to sum it all up and leave a smile on my face.... that was a wonderful time for our family to spend together. I am so blessed to call you Sis! LOVE YOU!