8.6.09

I said "What's up"

It was my first week in Germany. We stopped everyone on the streets. "Hallo! Wie geht's?" I asked an older gentleman. He gave me a strange look and replied. "You don't ask people you don't know how they're doing," Crolace explained to me. 
In America How-Are-You is synonymous with Hi, Hello, or any other greeting. No one expects a reply. I recall many conversations, passing friends on the way to and from university, and saying, "Hey, what's up?" to be answered with, "Hey, what's up?" and we walk on. 
And at the time I didn't mind, but since living in Germany I side with the Germans -- don't say things you don't mean. 
So, naturally I've stopped asking. But not everyone has gotten the memo. The receptionist at work never fails to ask.
"Good morning!" I say.
"Good morning!" she says. 
I'm almost out of sight. "How are you?" It is like she is waiting for me to ask first and then refuses to let it go.
"Fine," I call back. Does she really want me to round the corner back and have a heart-to-heart? I doubt it. 
The only time I do like the question, or rather a version of the questions is this. Instead of saying, "Tell so-and-so I said hi" I like to say "Tell so-and-so I said what's up." I think it's cuter than hi. 
So if I don't ask you how are you it's because, at least at that moment, I don't want to know. And if I do ask, I'm not just greeting you.

4 comments:

Crolace said...

Oh! I love being quoted! It makes me feel so important!

PS, I keep meaning to call you to say "What's up?" because I really do want to know how you're doing. It's been too long since we've talked. I love that we keep up with each other's blogs, but I need to get myself down to Utah so we can go to lunch.

aisy said...

just so you know... i meant it today...

haley said...

I think I remember having this very conversation with you in the past.

Erin and Ryan said...

HAHA. What's up?