21.3.10

Hunger Games and Catching Fire

I recently read the first two of three books, Hunger Games and Catching Fire, in the Hunger Games series. I did not enjoy the books because they aren't necessarily happy books. They were entertaining and they made me think. And I'm still thinking about the message. (For a summary of the plot, go to the end of the post.)
When she got the idea for the book, the author, Suzanne Collins, was apparently flipping through TV channels -- flipping between the Iraq war and reality TV. It occurred to her that the juxtaposition was kind of sick. In a way watching people fight for their lives is side-by-side with the shallow entitlement of reality TV. The books have made American Idol extra stressful (luckily I rarely watch) because as they are eliminating people, my subconscious believes those people will be killed. That's way more terrifying than just being kicked off a show.
The books really make you feel the shallowness, without being preachy. One of the ways it does this is with Katniss' "styling team," the folks that make her super wonderful and beautiful prior to ya know, dying. The team members are totally consumed in their own lives, even commenting on inconveniences and "privations" they must suffer due to (unbeknownst to them) rebelling districts. When you're reading the book you can hear Amy Poehler and Seth Myers yelling, "Really?! Really?!" It has me considering my own priorities and if sometimes I am not slightly entitled. I am. My life is extremely comfortable and my problems are more or less surmountable. In our lives it's so easy to forget that so many don't have it easy. It's the ultimate "out of sight, out of mind."
The purpose of the character of Haymitch is worthy of some dialogue. Haymitch, to me, is the god-figure (although, be a drunkard and all, he's nowhere near divine). He gives simple, concise advice that when followed always works out. Also, Katniss must consider what she knows of Haymitch while in the Arena so that she can get what she needs from him (like medicine or food) and playing the Game with Haymitch's strategy works out. In a religious way (and I don't believe for a moment Collins intended this) it like following God's counsel and also figuring out what you have to do to get Him to do what you need Him to do, which will, in turn, be best for you.
Katniss is a strong female lead. Ok, so some have likened her relationship skills to that of Bella's (sorry, I just threw up in my mouth), but, as my friend Hayley pointed out, Katniss is concentrating on survival, she doesn't want a family at all, so give the chick a break if she doesn't give a lot of thought to guys. That aside, the girl got some wicked skills: hunting, archery, strategy. It actually really got me thinking about my own survival skills and now I'm working on emergency preparedness. Katniss is also compassionate and brave. She's not waiting to be saved; she's surviving and saving. She doesn't take a victim role. She doesn't expect others to solve her problems or make excuses for herself. She doesn't feel she's better than anyone else. I think those are all really great qualities and qualities I'd like to see more often in myself and others.
So, the third and final book comes out in August. Party: yes. More lessons to learn. I think so.


*The basic premise of the books are of a futuristic, dystopic North America ruled by the elite and perversely wealthy Capitol. To keep the remaining 12 districts in check, the Capitol hosts the mandatory Hunger Games- the ultimate reality TV show where 24 tributes (a boy and a girl from each district) fight to the death in an elaborate arena. Only one can win. Katniss Everdeen volunteers to go when her younger sister is drawn by lottery; but the plot thickens when her male counterpart declares he's got a thing for her.

No comments: