28.3.10

Necklace Boards

Miss J made one and it was rad, so I -of course -had to follow the trend. I made one for myself (pink) and one for my niece, Kyrsti (green). Don't tell Kyrsti, though, it's a surprise. I don't think Kyrsti reads this blog. If you do, Lou, pretend you didn't read this and be very excited. ;)
I went to Home Depot and found a 48" long board (that's just what size it came in, but I'd also check the scrap heap too) and about a half inch thick. I had the fine worker there cut it into two 21" slabs -- you could go a little longer but not much. I should have kept the left over piece and made place to hang keys-- so take the into consideration if you do this.
I sanded the board then painted it with regular acrylic paint I got for $2 at Robert's. I cut out magazine clippings (I'd think you could also do photos but print on regular paper not photo paper) including letters for each of our names. You can use glue to stick everything onto the board, or just paint the back-side of each clipping and it sticks to the board. Press firmly to get things to stick and hold for a second.
Next, I went over the whole board with a thin layer of white acrylic paint. This gives it a shabby-chic look. If the white it too thick, just use your fingers and wipe it off. On one of them I used some mod-podge at the end just because things were struggling to stay down.
Last, I inserted nails wherever I felt it was right. Hang in your desired way; I drilled two holes through the board and nailed it to the wall.
It was a really simple, cute project.



3 comments:

pinksuedeshoe said...

OK that is totally cute. Look at you being all crafty and stuff! (The drill must have changed your life. Also, you should update your "fav blog" list with my new blog instead of my old one. That "posted 9 months ago" is a little depressing :o)

aisy said...

you're so crafty

Melissa Nickle, Owner of Blossom Sweet said...

ery cute! I have an "accessory board" in my room too, and I love it. I've been meaning to do a post on it for awhile, thanks for the reminder!