19.6.10

P-town

World locations have reputations. If, for example, you tell someone you're moving to Wichita it might not have the punch of, say, New York City. When I lived in Germany, being American was very ok and sometimes a talking point. But you'd not find the Germans proclaiming their Germaness (unless it was World Cup season). I don't really find anything wrong with Germans, but country-pride is not looked well on since WWII.
Some places are allowed more pride than others, which is unfortunate. LA is rad, Wichita is less so. though I am quite certain Wichita has it's charms.
It is of one of those spots I'd like to write. P-town, where I live, receives mentions usually in an apologetic way.
"I gotta get out of Provo."
"And I really didn't want to have to move here."
"Yep, still in Provo. Eek."
It's like P-town is not allowed to be liked. One cannot be proud of it. To like it means you have no taste or that you haven't gotten out much. But I like it. I really do. And I flatter myself that I am somewhat well-traveled and educated. To prove my love, and encourage it in others, I have a top ten list of the things I really enjoy about it. These aren't really in an order.
10. Farmer's Market. Sometimes it's more market than farmer but it's fun to be with a community and some of the food is really yummy.
9. Bridal Veil Falls. The grounds make a good walk.
8. The grounds at BYU. If you need a walk or just want to spread a blanket or you like to people watch, this is the place.
7. Gallery Stroll and F-Stop Cafe. The art is fun and the cafe has about one patron, making it friendly and actually the hot chocolate doesn't suck. I went in there one day and there was a puppy just hanging out.
6. Center Street. It's just a cool looking walk.
5. Cocoa Bean. It's slightly bitter and that makes it beyond delicious.
4. Library. I've decided this (and the one in Orem) is my happy place.
3. Riding bikes on Uni Ave and near Center.
2. International Cinema at BYU. And it's free.
1. Communal. Try the squash and the pot de creme.

2 comments:

haley said...

I dread leaving Provo. I'm scared! Less than 6 weeks now...

Hannah said...

I love Provo! I could live here forever and ever and ever.

The river trail? My favorite place on earth.