13.9.10

72-Hour Kit

I searched the internet unsuccessfully to find suggestions of what to put into a 72-hour kit (something to sustain life). My ward just put new packs together so I thought I'd write out their suggestions and share them with all.

Day 1
Breakfast- oatmeal and juice box
Lunch - ramen
Dinner - canned soup (our happens to be tomato)

Day 2
Breakfast - granola bar
Lunch - applesauce and peanut butter crackers
Dinner - easy mac (flat packet, not the bowls)

Day 3
Breakfast - oatmeal and hot chocolate
Lunch - easy mac
Dinner - ramen

Snacks
cookies (like granny Bs)
granola bar
fruit snacks
salt water taffy

Put it all into a one-gallon ziploc -- change things out every six months (like at Christmas and 4th of July, or at General Conference).

Write the date packed and have at least 3 gallons of water.

I put the bag into a bigger backpack (or some people put it in their backpacker backpack to store... and remove it to use the backpack). I also have a deck of cards, a solar shower (like $5 at WalMart -- heats the water and makes it come out all shower-like), rain ponchos, couple Sterno cans, toothpaste, change of clothes, one of those tinfoil looking survival blankets, fire starters, TP, some soap, and a first aid kit.

3 comments:

heidikins said...

My ward also made 72-hour kits, and I can't help but wonder that I will starve in case of an emergency. I cannot live on granola bars and Easy Mac alone!

(I know, I know, me and all my First World Problems.)

xox

haley said...

Wow, good job. Thanks for the ideas. We really really need to do this soon. I mean, we do live in California now and all.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Heidi, you're funny. Also- on my list is a suggested small notebook and pen/pencil. So you can write notes to yourself, or if you happen to have a carrier pigeon you can send notes to others. Or you know, play tic tac toe if you get desperate.