8.3.11

Lent 2011

Ash Wednesday. I thought about going to a Catholic church and doing the whole ceremony but I thought that real believers might thing I was somehow making fun because I'm not Catholic or that maybe I would be going against my own beliefs since keeping Lent, for me, is not religious per se but more an adventure in self-control. So no mass.
I've celebrated lent prolly four years now. Going off sweets and meat is my usual thing. I wanted to do something different this year. I wanted to do something that might somehow bring me closer to God. I brainstormed things that might me creating some distance. Here's what I came up with.
I'm going off Facebook and other useless websites.
Let me explain the parameters. Necessary websites will not be included -- such as lds.org, or my email, or my bank. Sites that give information -- like the library or npr -- will also be ok provided I have a purpose in going to them. I will - choke - not watch youtube clips. I will not surf aimlessly (even on "necessary" websites).
It's gonna hurt. That's ok. Lent should hurt. I hope to learn that I don't need these websites as much as I think I do. And I'm hoping I'll have more thought time for God.
What are you doing for Lent?

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I think you may be the only other Mormon (besides my siblings) that doesn't think it's weird to give up something for Lent. I've been participating in Lent for as long as I can remember [lots of Catholic neighbors]. I love it! And funny, we both are giving up the same thing. P.S. fun to go to the movie on Saturday!

xantogal said...

I've never done anything for Lent before, but your idea of going "off" of useless websites is a good idea! I've been trying to stay off of Facebook anyway... I probably should just take the link off of my favorites bar. LOL.

heidikins said...

Take luck!

xox

Karen Ella said...

oooooooooh, that's brilliant! I love it. I must say, each time I've decided to rid my world of something I don't need, I'm always shocked at the lack of necessity I feel after a while.