17.6.12

Buttons

On my mission we had a weekly sort of "hit list." Members or eternal investigators that we visited regularly and routinely (which is redundant both in syntax and in real life). On one of these routes we cross a busy road that had chirping bird. Since there was this apparatus, there was also a button to alert the unreal bird (look it up, it's not a real call) to humans, enticing it to chirp in permission.
So Germany is a little different from the US. On this pole the button was inside of a little hole that you stuck your finger in. As the junior companion - or the one who really didn't know what was going on ever and so this was the only thing I could do that was helpful - I pushed the button. For weeks. And weeks. Finally, as a joke, I remarked, "I think they just put this button here to make you feel like you're doing something."
Without emotion, she said, "Sister, that's a screw."

2 comments:

Crolace said...

Haha. Oh the memories! I just figured you were always touching those screws for good luck or something.

pinksuedeshoe said...

HA!