2.9.07

Got everything figured out?

So it was the first Sunday in my Single's Ward here. There was this man who was very self-assured and he spoke to me after I had made a comment in class. I had said that I was thankful for the prophet because I don't always know what is going on and it is nice to know that someone knows what's doing on. I can always trust the prophet and I don't have to sort out truth from error. I think he was trying to get a deep conversation going with me so he asked about it. He asked if I really didn't know how my life was going to turn out. I said no. I don't know. I asked him if he knew what his life was going to be like. He said he had everything planned out until he was 75. I wished him luck with that and somehow moved on. I thought about it for a little while and realized that it is way lame to know how everything is going to end up. Where is the fun in living predictably? It takes the wonder out of life. It also provides no room for faith. Why would I need God if I knew everything? And that's the purpose of life -- to come closer to God -- and if you don't ever interact with Him, you'll never become acquainted will Him. Also, it is extrememly unpractical. John Lennon said that life is what happens when you are busy making plans. This poor fool is going to get a very rude awakening one day when he learns that he is not as in control as he believes. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Crolace said...

Wow. I don't really get how a single person can fool themselves into believing that they are in total control of everything in their future. Unless they just want to stay single. Which this guy obviously does if that's the kind of conversation he's having with the smart, insightful, beautiful woman who just moved into his ward.

I think it's pretty easy to stop good things (i.e. blessings) from coming into your life, but impossible to force them to come when you want, or to choose which blessings you get. So I'm happy to leave things in the Lord's hands and see what nice surprises he has in store for me. So far, they've been better than what I probably would have chosen for myself.

xister said...

I think that James had something to say about people who even claim to know what is going on tomorrow. (I think it's James 4 or something.)

Unknown said...

Life very rarely turns out the way we had planned. And when it does I believe most people feel they somehow missed something.

I'll take my unpredictability and adventures, thankyouverymuch.

xox