2.1.08

Chances go Bye Bye!


I've been working on this guy for a year. We'll call him Scott*. I knew him from a ward. Then we both moved out. Then he moved in and back out. Then I moved in and soon out. Last Sunday he was at my ward. We reconnected! I flirted. He touched his arm in the way that books tell you to touch arms. He got my number (Like the third time I've given it to him). Maybe this time...
Later that week... I took my dad out for his birthday. As we were waiting for a table I ran into Scott.
"Hi! This is my dad." Now it's time to introduce Scott but I can't remember his name. Brain fart. Well, it's sure to come by the end of the sentence. "And this is ... Steve."
"Scott," Scott corrects.
I didn't think I had too much of a chance to begin with but I don't think my apologies de la millions conquered this mistake. As we parted I said, "Send me a text so I'll have your number..." and so I can apologize another million times. No text. No call.
*Names have been changed to protect the uninterested.

4 comments:

Crolace said...

Whenever I do or say something unimpressive around a guy I'm interested in - or if I happen to run into him on a day when I'm looking especially un-cute, it helps me to imagine what I would think if the tables were turned. If I ran into him and his hair looked all weird, would I change my mind about him? Would I suddenly lose interest if he introduced me to his mom as Kelly? Nope. I wouldn't. So I bet you haven't done much damage.

Maybe this is a sign that you're supposed to be with a person named Steve.

Holly Golighty said...

I am with Crolace on that. That little slip up could've happened to anyone and will not make him suddenly lose interest because you happened to call him by the wrong name.

xister said...

Like a grasshopper, perhaps.

If a girl that I was sort of interested in forgot my name, I think that it would make me more interested in her because then I know it'd have to be a battle. (Then again, if I were worried that she might say no, then I'd be more hesitant. Hopefully your guy has more self-confidence than I do. Luckily for you, most do.)

pinksuedeshoe said...

We went to high school with a dude, and his older brother was way cooler and much more popular... but the dude our age looked like he should have been named what his brother was named.... what i mean to say is I had a dance class with the younger one, and I danced with him nearly every day for a whole semester, and I still called him older brother.... I wonder if the Brother of Jared had that problem too?