2.2.09

I want that too

Not sure what brought on this post. Just a random thought, not to be taken too too seriously.
Telling a single person, such as myself, to get with the program and fall in love is like unto:
Telling an infertile couple to try harder
Telling a starving child to go get a sandwich
Telling a teacher to make a million
Telling William Hung to win American Idol
All of us want what our advice givers want. We're doing all we can. But it's just not like grocery shopping. Some things are out of our control when it comes right down to it. I wish the focus would change from convincing people they should do what they already want to do and just focus on things that are in our control and are going well. I'm dealing with it in my way. Please do your best, dear friends, to not point out how out of control it is by asking me to control the impossible-to-control. 
Some unhelpful, well-intentioned things:
"I don't understand why you aren't married" (yeah, me neither)
Depending on who it's coming from - "I have someone to set you up with" (says to me, "You must be doing something wrong so I'll fix it)
"You need to get with the program" (is that what I'm supposed to be doing? never occurred to me)
"I just wish you could get married" (yeah, me too -- what are you expecting me to say?)
Some helpful, well-intentioned things:
"You look hot"
"What's up?"
"Did you see The Office?" (no seriously, it was hilarious)
"I love you"
I don't want this to be a wo-is-me post, because that is not how I approach life -- see below. This is just a random post about a fact that's kind of a big deal to me. Like, I'm doing and thinking about other stuff, but, yeah, I'd really like to be in love and even married. And I'm not weird for wanting that because I was built that way. But, like I said, I'm not, like, sitting around waiting for Prince Charming (because, with a name like that, he's probably gay) so don't get the wrong idea about this post. 
I'm going to go to bed now. If nothing else, we all can sleep -- medically induced or otherwise. :)

7 comments:

Nicole Rasmussen said...

Love it! By the way, you always look hot... and never forget I LOVE YOU!

Stephanie said...

Megan,
I totally understand and love the post! I Think when people say stuff to me like your so cute why aren't you married I'm going to say well I must have crappy personality. Might shut them up. Ha Ha. Love ya!

aisy said...

I think my favourite is when someone basically insinuated that getting my education was a deterrent for marriage because I was "too driven." Seriously? NO, I just didn't want to sit on my arse waiting for gay prince charming to come around before I did something with my life. Oh, man, I love stupid comments. Most people have learned to not say them around me as I'm not too nice about it.

I laugh at their stupidness when they do!

And seriously, wasn't the office HE-larious?

Natalie said...

You are so great! I love your posts! Office was excellent!

Mays and Matt said...

Totally agree, and I hope I'm not that person. I get it all the time, too. Love your posts (okay, and your guts).

Jenny said...

Amen, Sister! And yes, you are a big dang deal!!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Sort of a random thought/comment, but I think it fits. My 3 year old neice calls the Prince on Sleeping Beauty "Prince Syrup" (she obviously doesn't know anyone else named Phillip.) I think a Prince Syrup would be great. He would go perfectly with my waffles.