10.2.09

Pleasure in the Written Word


I should be reading all about DBT in preparation for a group I'm in. I have a lot of motivation to do this because my supervisor, on a number of occasions, has said, "That Marsha Linehan could have used a good editor. The first two chapters are really wordy." So you can understand haste I feel to read it.
So instead I realized I have time to read something I am interested in -- Girls in Pants, the Third Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares. I love the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series! This is where Kate roles her eyes and also tells me I can also watch Step Up 2 alone. 
The books are well written as far as those types of books are. By those types I mean books that have no other agenda other than pleasure. 
I love my Great Gatsby and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and A Separate Peace -- but those books are thinkers; you are supposed to be edified or learn something or something like that. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, less so. No English teachers will feature these books but I think they are completely enjoyable.
Other enjoyable books are as follows:
Are You There God It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume. While entertaining, I must own that it changed my life.
Fifteen and the Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary. I've read these over and over.
The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Although it was magical (no pun intended) and emotional.
Catherine Called Birdie by Karen Cushman.
All-of-a-Kind Family series by Sydney Taylor . Never wanted to be Jewish more in my life.
What are you "pure entertainment" picks?

4 comments:

aisy said...

um, i haven't even cracked my dbt stuff and jennie asked me earlier "do we have to really read this all or can i quick scan it all." i'm in the same boat.

i have been reading outliers which is fascinating. how you liking the book i lent you ;)

Anonymous said...

My fluff reading is the Shopaholic series (first 3), Elegance, and the bulk of Mitch Albom's books.

Also, I feel it important to mention that I will be going to Greece, traveling pants style, in November. Squee!

xox

Monica said...

I loved Catherine Called Birdie. Some of my favorites are books by Jodi Piccoult.

Erin and Ryan said...

Ditto to many of your fav. reads. Can I just tell you that I finally got to watch High School Musical 3 and I think it is my favorite of the three. Sooo good.