14.2.10

Book Sale

It started out with me missing my flight. Well, the plane was totally there and if the Delta "help" had exhibited more faith I think they could have gotten me on the flight, but as it was I was waiting for the shuttle to return me to my car as my flight took off. I had about 9 hours to kill until I could get on another flight. Drive back to P-Town? Nein. Chill with Gram? Ja. I called up my Gram, who is 88, and asked if we could hang out. She said she wasn't busy.


Gram and Aunt Muriel

So first we exchange some orthopedic shoes she's has since October. Then we went to Marie Calendars. It's not fancy food but Gram loves it. After lunch, we snoozed and relaxed to the Mo Tab's 2008 Christmas concert featuring Edward Herman and Brian Stokes Mitchell. In Miss J's words, "It did not suck." Gram finally took my up on my offer to visit one of her sibs. We drove out to Magna, taking the long way (thank you, dear confusion at the Spaghetti Bowl) to visit Aunt Muriel, who is only 83. The two visited and Aunt Muriel, who called me by my sister's name the whole time (neither Gram nor I had the heart to correct her), told me all about her house -- which was originally a duplex that they moved (!) to its current location. She also show me a cool stitch for quilting and made me think about getting into quilting. After the visit I had to get back to the airport for my late flight. I got on this time (yay!) and arrived in Phoenix around midnight.

Heidikins, me, Andrea

At 4:45 am the alarm went off. Had the other two, Heidikins and Andrea (my newest friend), not stirred I would have missed the whole thing as it was painful to awaken. Around 5:15 we were in line at the fair grounds. We chatted with a new friend, random-guy Steve, sized up our competition, and Andrea and I bonded over music on her Ipod. At 8 am the doors opened and the insanity began. At 10:15, we were on our way home.

Me, Andrea, and Heidikins

The VNSA book sale has 600,000 donated books from a bazillion categories. Most paperbacks are US $1.50 and the most I spent on anything was US $6 (It was a very nice coffee-table book featuring Renoir). I spent the majority of my time in classics, foreign language, children's, and self-help (for work, gosh). I got the books home, thanks to Heidikins, in a big duffle bag weighing in at 45 lbs.



The damage: 57 books for $76. A sampling of the books follows should you enjoy borrowing.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Brave New World
The Known World
Life of Pi
The House on Mango Street
Edgar Allan Poe collected works
The Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Beautiful Boy
All of the Dave Pelzer memorabilia except A Child Called It
Illiad and the Odyssey
Lots of Ramona Quimby
The Joy Luck Club
Things Fall Apart
The Jungle
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Middlemarch
Pride and Prejudice
Ivanhoe
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Esperanza Rising
A Wrinkle in Time
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Jane Eyre
The Witches
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Odd Girl Out

This was an amazing deal and a fun, fun weekend. Next year we're thinking about camping out through the night.

4 comments:

aisy said...

was that why you went? how did you miss your flight... do share the details!

heidikins said...

The booksale was BY FAR the best part of my weekend--so glad to have spent it with you!

xox

Andrea Jolene said...

Look! Now I'm reading your blog! It's official... we're friends. Mmm... booksale. I'm buying a bookshelf this weekend for my treasures! May we never doubt Heidi's "we're getting up at 4:30!" command again. So let it be written...

Andrea Jolene said...

PS: And yes, I noticed you posted the pic of me with my eyes closed. Yep. Noticed that real good. ;)