17.2.10

Lent: Mastering the Self

Lent is the (approximate) 40-day period prior to Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday, when we begin to some sort of penance for our sins. The 40-day number comes from either the fact that Christ fasted 40 days or because He was in the tomb about 40 hours. (All according to wikipedia.)
The big traditions include giving something up during that time. I read articles of people giving coffee, treats, Facebook, or Lent (yes, giving up Lent for Lent). Last year I went vegetarian. It was pretty difficult. This year I wanted to give up something that's been a real problem. At first I thought about giving up spending money on anything beside necessities, but I threw the idea out because I was making too many exceptions. Then I thought about giving up media -- like only allowing missionary style media. But I x-ed that after calculating how that would be social suicide. Maybe I'll do it when I'm married.
Finally I decided on giving up sweets. Now before you say that it's wimpy and a cop out, listen to my reasoning. I'm addicted. To candy, to hot chocolate, to anything slightly sweet. And I'm not just cutting out desserts. I'm trying to cut down my overall sugar intake. I've gone off sugar twice before. The first time I spent the first half of the session being grumpy and complaining, and the second half plotting my relapse. I don't think I made it to the end of the second attempt.
So this will be difficult. I'm developing self-mastery.
A friend of mine paraphrased a quote: man has conquered the land, he has conquered the sea. He has conquered the animals and space. But man has not conquered himself.
Hopefully it will be said of me Veni, vidi, vici.

3 comments:

haley said...

Are you telling me that getting married is social suicide? I beg to differ. Good luck with the sweets fast. That's admirable, I don't even make goals like that because it would be impossible.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Me too. I am addicted and it sucks. But, I've done it once before and I really felt like I just didn't want it anymore. And now everytime I walk past my KitchenAid I want chocolate chip cookies. Let the 40 days begin. Sigh.

aisy said...

keep me posted on your progress. you looked pretty happy on Tuesday... had lent started? ha ha.