5.1.14

"New Year's Eve. Almost midnight. You're not here for me to hold." -Truman

That's what the band said and I love that song.

Miss J and Steph and I rang in the New Year at my soon-to-be sister-in-law Janie's house, with my brother - obviously - and some other friends. 

New Year's day brought nostaglia as I got together with high school friends for our annual soiree. It is a great beginning. 
I adore goal setting. In fact, goal setting is probably the best thing for me when I am feeling blue. It gives a sense of control and direction. I set goals twice a year - once at New Years and once around my birthday, which happens to be perfectly placed in July (another of my perfections).

From July, I've already made good progress. I ate seafood (only twice but that's progress), I'm definitely better at owning mistakes and dissenting, I'm more financially generous, and I joined the bone marrow registry. I'm still working on the others.

Bravery and courage are still my overall focus and I'm finding that I relish the difficult and stretching.
Milla gave me this for Christmas. I wear it often as a sort of talisman and as a reminder to be brave. Usually though, I hear Dan Radcliffe/Harry Potter's voice from the fourth movie saying, "Be brave, professor! Be brave like my mother!"

I want to talk with people I know, even slightly, in public places like the grocery store. Usually, like most people, I pretend I don't know someone because I can be a wimp. 

I will create the book of my father's mission finally. It's been years in the making. 

I'll quit my job. And start a new one. 

I will call people more instead of texting. Let's make more human contacts. 

I'll eat at least two fruits or veggies a day. It's brave to admit that the goal is required. And to offer myself to the judgment of others who might consider two a number that should not be so difficult, but it is. 

In NYC we wrote our hopes and dreams on a bit of confetti to be dropped over Times Square. Here's hoping.



No comments: