29.7.13

Brave New Year

Every year on my birthday I like to get a hotel room by myself and wake up on birthday morning at will, have breakfast, then sit down for some reflection and goal-setting. I didn't do that this year because I could only come up with one goal: learn to make a proper paper plane; and I was with people. Since my birthday I've tried to come up with some goals- a girl does like to move forward- but couldn't really land on much I passionately wanted to do.
Earlier this week I stumbled onto this music video from Sara Bareilles. The song is called Brave and I find it incredibly encouraging - both lyrically and within the concept of the video. And, for where I am in life right now personally, it was a message I needed to hear.

The video also gave me the inspiration for my goal setting: Brave New Year. I will embark on several feats of bravery, hoping to grow and stretch just a little more.

Go a day or two without my phone, several times
Take singing lessons
Run a half-marathon
Eat unfamiliar food that I have heretofore shunned - the dreaded seafood!
Own up to mistakes
Dissent and/or advocate for myself and/or question
Share the gospel with someone, like for real, like giving away a Book of Mormon or inviting them to church
Ask for and accept feedback that might not be flattering; don't wilt; possibly disagree with it
Stop coping in ways that aren't helpful in coping - like TV or surfing the internet for useless hours
Be financially generous
Learn to be handy around my own home
Ask to be mentored
Seriously already, join the bone marrow registry

“Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.” 
Tom Krause


1 comment:

heidikins said...

Love that song. Love you.

xox