12.7.13

Roaring Twenties



Today is my last day of 20s. I turn 30 tomorrow. I'm stoked about it. I love new things (for the most part) and I think 30 will rock.

But before that day comes I'd like to take a walk down memory lane and review my 20s. This is prolly only interesting to me - sorry about that.

Age 20
  • This was the the year I met my BFF Kate. Lived at BDA.
  • I was an EFY counselor 
  • I graduated from BYU with my BSW (that's code for Bachelor of Social Work)
Age 21
  • I went to the temple. Big family trip to Nauvoo, IL to do it. 
  • Did the EFY thing again.
  • I got my mission call to Frankfurt, Germany and I went to Germany.
Age 22
  • I celebrated 22 with the fabulous Anni K, from Finland. 
  • I was out on the mission for a year, finally had some command of German, and looked really frumpy.
  • Got picked up by my mom and bro from the mission and toured around a bit, including the Sound of Music Tour, fulfilling my lifelong dream and basically ensuring that anything else to come would be ho-hum.
Age 23
  • Back from the mission and in grad school at the University of Utah. I got to live with my grandma one day a week (when I was going to school) which was pretty awesome. But I won't be said if I never see another Marie Calendar pot pie again. 
  • Worked at an RTC (code for residential treatment center) which was basically chill.
  • Did internship at Wasatch Mental Health youth division. 
  • Lived at Old Mill and pawned all of my roommate problems off on Kate to solve. Love you!
  • My niece Grace was born on my birthday. Another lifelong dream come true. 
  • Started a blog - this one to be precise. 
Age 24
  • Graduated with the ol' MSW (Master of Social Work) and passed the licensure exam becoming a CSW (Clinical Social Worker).
  • Began dying my hair - like really, really dark. 
  • Got my first real job, therapist at an RTC (where I still am). Teenage boys are an education. Also worked private practice.
  • Went on my first cruise - just the little one to Ensenada. 
  • Lived at home. I'd like to defend this. I had to move home because I didn't know where I was going to get a job and so I just kept living at home. Then moved out to Deer Haven, with Kate. 
  • Bought my first car. 
  • Went to Anni K's wedding in Finland. Also toured around Sweden and met up wtih Hanna, who was a foreign exchange student with my family while I was in high school. 
  • Saw John Mayer in concert. It was a really good concert.
Age 25
Age 26
  • Saw Michael Buble in concert. Fine.
  • Went blonde. 
  • Took a real trip to NYC.
  • Cruise to Jamaica with the family. 
  • Jennica moved in (and out). But she's a bestie. 
  • Started running. 
  • Got my "L" making me an LCSW (a Licensed Clinical Social Worker). It's a big deal, just go with me on it. And stopped private practice. 
Age 27
  • Discovered Doctor Who.
  • Saw Hanson in concert. Amazing.
  • 10 year high school reunion. I was 17 when I graduated - I'm a summer birthday. 
  • Decided to find my real hair color - a continuing pursuit but I'm close. 
Age 28
  • Went to Maine for DBT training followed by a visit to Milla in North Carolina
  • Bought a house!
  • Trip to Civil War sites in the South. 
  • Taught Abnormal Psychology at UVU. 
  • Joined a legit bookclub. 
Age 29
  • Kate got married. That maybe sounds like her life event, but it's really impacting me. 
  • Trained in Prolonged Exposure. I'm a really good therapist, really, actually. 
  • Another trip to the South (this time along the coast) to check out more war sites. 
  • Couple trips to Cali to present to school districts about "Treatment Resistant Youth."
  • Began working at outpatient therapy and cutting down at RTC. 
  • I'm more me than ever before!

Here's to the next ten years!

2 comments:

Karen Ella said...

Hey! Happy birthday tomorrow!!!!! I love 30s. Way better than 20s, imo. ;)

heidikins said...

Awww, I love this! So great!

xox