10.7.13

Er-rybody be hatin' on the rat

Jennica said it best (in a Russian accent): What can you have for love if not for rat?

Kate got a rat for her 5th grade class this year. Sandy - that's the rat - visited the kiddos' families on the weekends. Sandy's with Kate for the summer but she was with me this past weekend when Kate and Steve went camping.

I posted this photo on the interwebs and immediately got a backlash. Apparently I missed the cultural memo that rats are gross.

I disagree with society. I found Sandy (and other rats I've met) to be very agreeable. She likes to crawl all over you, like a puppy, and is cuddly. Why would I get a dog that is so needy and messy when I can get the same lovin' from this little tike? She is clean. She is low maintenance. She can mind her own business or she can be involved in yours - whatever you want. 

A big complaint is the tail. Yes, it's like a little snake, but it's easy to forget about once you get over yourself. 

Additionally, I felt a little emotional connection to this girl. I think she really loves me and prefers me. Let's hope K and S camp again. 

Give rats a chance. What can you have for love if not for rat?

No comments: