23.6.13

Mission memories

Today there was a special broadcast about missionary work. I enjoyed it but I also felt very, very jealous of current missionaries. I don't know exactly why I was so upset that I can't be a missionary but I think it might be because the mission is the one time in my life that I was 100% sure I was in the right place and that I was doing something more meaningful that anything I can think of. That's not to say the rest of my life was a waste of anything, just that my mission to Germany remains my best moment.

Which is interesting because I didn't see a lot of people come into the church and I was super stressed (unnecessarily so) most of the time. But I do believe I made some great connections with companions and with some members and Germany is a wonderful country that I miss so much it hurts.

I was looking at my photo album and here are some of my favorites in particular order. 

Doing dishes at the Outreach center in Duesseldorf

Frankfurt temple, in Friedrichsdorf, where I did tours. Here I'm with Sis. Kennard and I'm on the right (this was taken with a film camera). 

With Sister Kymalainen - shed a tear or two or eight! when we got split up

Schloss Braunfels with Sis Kymalainen

Nadja was baptized by her friend (and the real missionary) Florian. Lots of missionaries is this situation including Sis Bonke, Fuchs, Bradford, and moi.

Lovely Carolin, so glad we've been able to keep contact. Members rocks. 

Feelin' 22. Sis Kymalainen made me a special Finnish cake.

Schwester Winter - no idea what she was saying but she made me feel so calm and loved in a very foreign country

Street preach - my favorite thing to do. And this was neat because it was by what we called the "Dirty Bird" which is really the Lebensretter (Life Saver) but is oh so wrong

General Conference and Sis Bradford's first day. Sis Fuchs, me, Sis Turley, and Sis Bradford.  At one time or another each was my companion and we're all still friends. I mean, I was with Sis Fuchs on a trip when I found out my dad died. That's friendship.

All of my companions that were in the mission at the time. 
Fasching (or Carnival). Helau!

German national anthem and written out by Sis Reiter. It's catchy and gets stuck in your head easily.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everytime I find myself admiring your spirit in posting/ writing and keeping up on blogging. I enjoy - once in a while - reading about you. So I'm happy you keep this going. Mission was definitly a beautiful time worth its while! And lastly: Thank you for being a good friend.
<3
Anne