17.6.13

Highs and Lows

So what do you think of life so far?

A high point of my life was going on a mission. It was also a low point, but mostly a high point. As of today, June 17, 2013, pretty sure this is the most worthwhile thing I've done with my almost 30 years. Although it was really stressful (low point) it was the period of my life where I've been the most sure that I was doing exactly the right thing (high point). 

A high point in my life has been traveling. I've been to 11 countries and 35 states which I think is a goodly number. 

Low point, I failed my AP History test in high school which was embarrassing because I was so sure I'd pass and everyone else apparently did. (I also didn't get into a PhD program, but this ended up being a high point because I have no friends in doctorate programs that are happy.) (Also, I passed the AP English test which was fine. Note to high school Megan, AP is a big waste of time. Let's talk about the semester's worth of credit you got through concurrent enrollment. Spend a semester memorizing anatomy and physiology, watching your teacher smoke, and learning from the Simpsons - high point.)

High point, graduating from grad school and having a job that I feel is meaningful, even if I sometimes want to punch people in the throat. Normally I love telling people what I do and I'm happy with myself. 

Low point, being a "late bloomer." Ok, not in the traditional sense but it's taken me a cool minute to do things that other people seem to do a lot sooner, like know what "tweak" is slang for and talk to boys. 

High point, learning to whistle. Probably also the moment when I made a joke in German and people laughed. I had a personality again.

Low point, when my dad got really sick and then stayed really sick. But it was also in a way a high point because I think our relationship for his last years kind of clarified my view of him so when he died it was ok. Had he died sooner I think I would have held a lot of resentment toward him for a long time. 

High point, buying a house and paying off my car. And painting a wall pink. And having everything exactly my way because, hey, it's my house. 

Low point, realizing how many hours have been spent watching movies and TV and reading people.com. And I still do it. I'm disgusting. 

High point I have rad friends. In fact, I was in Walmart today (this is going to be good) and I thought, maybe some people are ok living like this. I'm glad I don't have to. 

Low point, when I was eating Ramen again, because I'm alone and I don't want to cook. I don't think diabetes will look good on me. 

High point, figuring out that I can come up with high points a lot fast than low points. I think things are going pretty well. I feel really blessed. 

Life on the whole is a really good thing. M. Scott Peck, in The Road Less Traveled, says that once you accept that life is hard, it ceases to be hard. When you accept it on its terms, you don't feel so put out when it doesn't go your way. And you'll appreciate the good so much more because you'll see it as a blessing, not a right. I just don't want to die before I've seen all the really neat things the world has to offer, cuz, you know, YOLO.


FYI - I've been to: USA, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Germany, France, Austria, Finland, Sweden, Jamaica, Grand Cayman.

3 comments:

haley said...

Love it! I think you are a high point of my life my friend. Definitely wishing I saw more of you. Let's make that happen. By the way...I didn't know you didn't pass the AP History exam- how embarrassing. :/ lol

Unknown said...

Love this. Love you. Thanks.

heidikins said...

This is great, and I cannot WAIT to see your pink wall! :)

xox