13.1.09

Elna Baker

Above is part of the standup comedy routine of Elna Baker. I first heard of her this Sunday while I was listening to a piece she had done (scroll to the bottom of the link to find her piece) on This American Life. At the end of the piece, This American Life publicized her new book The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance. Mormon? My interest was peeked and sure enough, she's LDS.... and practicing.
I was stoked because -- according to what I can find on the internet -- she is also a fairly successful comedian -- as in, she actually is a working comedian. She uses religion as a main joke but I don't think it comes off mocking and apologetic to her "quirks".... just as a funny part of her. Watch the clip and notice that she acts like she's giving a funny talk. She's definitely a Mormon. Check it out and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

laurenlou said...

i am dying!!!!!!! i heart this girl. thank you for introducing her into my life!!!! hahahahahahaha

Stephanie said...

Oh my that was so freaking funny! Megan your rock!

aisy said...

i think this girl gets me... ha ha.

Crolace said...

I had exactly the same experience as you! Und zwar:

1. I heard Elna Baker on This American Life.

2. Heard the word Mormon in the title of her forth-coming book and thought "Oh crap, this girl seems really nice - Please don't let her be another one of those bitter former Mormons."

3. Looked her up on the interweb and was relieved to see that she is neither bitter nor apostate.

4. I totally dig her humor.

I almost blogged about her as well, but it looks like you've got it covered. We are totally on the same wave length. Spooky.