25.1.09

Rejected!

So tonight I got rejected for the first time. I know, crazy. What was he thinking? Yeah, and I've never been honestly and assuredly rejected. 
I've been, in a sick way, looking forward to rejection. It means I get Ben and Jerry's and I can cry and it's like one of my favorite episodes of Gilmore, when Rory and Dean are broken up and Rory refuses to wallow but then she kisses Tristan and decides to wallow after all. 
Tonight wasn't exactly that night however. It just wasn't that bad and I'd feel kind of stupid crying over something so small for drama's sake. But I did talk to Kate for a while and began crying as I related the following story.
What I was about 15 or so, I really wanted pizza one day. Out of the blue. I thought and thought about how I could get some pizza but just couldn't figure anything out. But I really wanted pizza so I cried. Big elephant tears I cried. My mom came into my room and saw my big tears.
"What is the matter?!"
I looked up at her to explain, "I just really want some pizza."
And she got me pizza. And everything was fine.
I guess tonight all my 15-year old emotions came back. I remembered how I felt that day that I really wanted pizza (for no apparent reason) and then my mom was merciful enough to get it to me.
Why have I told these two stories together? I tell them because they happened chronologically. Or is the pizza now just a metaphor for what I lost tonight? Is this just happenstance? 
Unless you're a Freudian, it was happenstance.

9 comments:

megs said...

Oh my GOODNESS. What in the world happened? And that's hilarious about the pizza--I can totally see your 15 year old self crying about it:)

Kathryn the Great said...

Um so...what are you bring home tonight? Ben and Jerry's or pizza? Count me in on whichever! ;)
P.S. Anyone who rejects you is not the brightest...I'm just sayin' is all!

Stephanie said...

Ok so I think we all want more details on this rejections!

aisy said...

oh dear...

what i liked the most is listening to "luckiest" on your playlist while i read this post. oh the cruel irony of life. (is that actually irony or am i being a bit alanis morrissette?)

i'm sorry i can't just buy you a pizza and make it all better friend.

Crolace said...

At first, when I read this, I felt sort of bad for you. And I still kind of do. Kind of. But also kind of not because for goodness sakes, this is the first time you've ever been rejected?

Why when I was your age,... blah blah blah, walked to school in the snow, ... blah blah blah, uphill both ways, ... blah blah blah, and I got rejected all the time!

What I say is, congratulations on getting out there and getting rejected because that can only happen when you've done something brave! Good job!

And I'm awfully interested to hear the details. You'll be getting a phone call from me.

laura said...

that guy stood you up? i wanna know the d's.

La Reina said...

Rory: Can I take the car?
Lorelai: Yes.
Rory: Can I borrow something to wear?
Lorelai: Yes.
Rory: Are you going to agree to everything I say because you feel sorry for me?
Lorelai: Yes!
Rory: Good, I'll make a list.

Consider me Lorelai. Make your list, Rory, and I shall agree to whatever you say!

K said...

Meg---this is Kali from the Fort Canyon Ward---and I agree...complete idiot, this one! Also, you should feel the utmost sense of confidence if this is the FIRST time you've ever experienced rejection. One rejection every 20something years...not bad, girl, not bad at all =)

haley said...

So rude! If only that dude knew how awesome you are! I totally got rejected like a year ago right before Todd and I started dating. I was head over heels for this guy I met country dancing. He totally led me on, called me a few times, but never asked me out again. So I called and asked him out, and he said, "I'm not really interested in us going in that direction."